Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Beginning

     After the USPS lost my passport and visa, I finally recieved it the day before we were supposed to leave for India, and was able to travel with the rest of the group.  We left furman at 8 am thursday morning, and left the greenville/spartanburg airport (GSP) at about 11 am.  From there we flew to Washington D.C. and split into two groups to fly to Frankfort, Germany.  I was in the first group that flew out at 3:30 pm, and the second group left D.C. at 5:30 pm, and met us in Frankfort.  I was able to get a few hours of sleep as we crossed the Atlantic.  After arriving in Germany, we found our gate, and got some breakfast.  For four sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits, and two orange juices, it was $17, quite a bit more expensive than in the US.  Ryan and I decided to get some more sleep on the terminal benches.  After sleeping for who knows how long, a german police officer woke me from my slumber and demanded to see my passport, but didn't even glance at Ryan, who was sleeping right next to me.  After being woken up, I walked over to see the rest of the group, and got my belongings together to board the flight to Chennai.  The flight to Chennai was pretty similar to the flight to frankfort, except that as we were decending into Chennai, a plane that had just landed blew its tire out on the runway, so we had to accened back up into the air and circle Chennai.  When it became apparent that our plane would run out of fuel before the plane on the runway would be moved, the pilot and crew decided to fly the plane to Bangalore so we could refuel and wait till it was safe to return to Chennai.  After a two to three hour detour, we landed in Chennai and were met by the drivers form Madras Christian College (MCC).  The drive to MCC gave us our first taste of India, and even after six weeks of intense preperation, it was nothing like I had expected.  What I was shocked most by, was the piles of trash lining the streets, the run down buildings, and the amount of people out and about at four in the morning.  The drive was only about 30 minutes, and it was just getting light when we arrived at MCC, ending out 36 hour, 36 minute, and 36 second trip to the other side of the world. 
       In an attempt to acclimate myselft to the new time zone, I decided to stay up until it was night time again.  After breakfast, groups of us took walks around the campus.  We saw a tree covered in giant fruit bats, a family of deer, one of which had huge antlers, and we saw a group of Indians playing cricket.  After the walk, the guys hung out in my room, listented to music and juggled the soccer ball for a few hours.  Later in the afternoon, five of us decided to leave the campus and see what was outside the walls.  Right outside of the gate is a very busy street, there are no lines on the street, and it is pretty much just chaos.  After observing the locals for a few minutes, we found that the technique to cross the street is to just walk leisurely, and assume that all of the traffic will either stop, or swerve around you.  And it worked for us!  We walked around a little bit, and being the only white people for miles, we were greeted with stares, honks, and waves.  Returing to campus, I was overcome by my tiredness, and fell asleep for about five hours.  Dr. Suresh woke me up for dinner, and just as all the meals have been, it was delicious.  After dinner, I showered and went to sleep.  In the morning (today) we woke up, had breakfast, and walked to the market.  As we walked through the market, we moved through sections that smelled terrible, delicious, and just weird.  It was divided into sections of fruits, vegitables, fish, and clothes.  Once I get rupees, I plan on going back to get some exotic fruits.







2 comments:

  1. Dawg! Thanks for sharing the blog, intrepid traveler nephew mine. What tales you have to tell. Fill your book up with pages plentious. How cool to study abroad!
    Take wing,
    Unka Clark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Stephen. Keep 'em coming.
    Love,Mom

    Clark, what a clever poem!

    ReplyDelete